Mission failed: Blackened silver




A few weeks ago, while cleaning my house. I found some old silver jewelry. The silver is a bit blackened, but I still really would like to use it in combination with the beeswax. 





I know you can buy silver polish for silver jewelry, but I didn't wanna spend any money on it directly. So I called my mum and asked for some help. 'Cause mums always know things like that. 

She had an idea with a plastic tray, aluminum foil, salt and hot water. I had to put the aluminum foil in the tray, with the jewelry on it, put some salt on it and fill the tray with hot water. 

She didn't tell me how long I had to wait till I had to get the jewelry out. So I let in it the water for about 24 hours. Maybe, that was a little bit to enthusiastic. 






After the 24 hours my jewelry was still blackened. (Thanks mum) And my aluminum foil was affected. I was kind of shocked by the effect of the salt on the aluminum foil.

So I really don't recommend my mums tip and I'll buy some silver polish.